Whew! We did it; we made it to the end of James. I’m just going to be real, this took much longer than I thought it would. I expected it to be a 5 week study & it ended up being more like 10 I think. Between having to add 3 additional weeks of “parts” & a few weeks here & there of it being hard to get the study done or typed on my end, this was much more involved than i thought it would be. So thank you for hanging in there. We did it. I learned a lot not only about the book of James & the character of God during this study, but I also learned a lot about being a blogger/writer & leading/writing a study like this. I have said it before that I have led bible studies, but I have always used someone else’s material or study. I have never done my own, so this was a new experience for me. Here’s a few of my take-aways:
- Write the study & have it completely typed *before* the study actually begins- I honestly didn’t realize how much work it was going to be to lead you through this & write it & type it all at the same time. So for the next one (I am thinking one per season or quarterly), I will have it completed before I post the first week. I think that will keep it more consistent too as far as timing & length.
- Pre-blog/write- Since I start blogging 6 years ago, I have always written as the desire struck or I had something to say or something to share. I had thought about pre-blogging, but didn’t see the need for it because I could just pull it off the cuff. During these last few months I have come to realize this….those days are over, lol. So while I am away for the rest of the summer, I will be writing in preparation of the fall. This will allow me to be more consistent & scheduled with my posts (3x per week), but will afford me the flexibility to post as I have something to say.
In the vein of what’s to come, last week I posted a video on fb talking about what you can expect from HFL for the next few months (click on over if you have a few & listen. It is pinned to the top so it shouldn’t be too hard to find). In a few days, I am flying with both of my kids up north to visit my family for most of July; so I won’t be blogging (I might pop in a few times if I can, but I don’t want to make a promise I don’t keep) & the shop will also be closed down until mid-August. You can still order, but it won’t ship until the week of August 15th- because I won’t be here to ship it. I’m excited to take a bit of time off from the grind of blogging & writing & shipping & I hope to come back with lots of new ideas for the shop & the blog. But here are a few things to look forward to come late summer:
- New products: A few new products will hit the shop in September. I have 2 for sure & maybe a few others ideas to work out.
- YouTube: I have been addicted to YouTube for months & have wanted to start a channel, but I have never been able to figure out where it fits in to all of this stuff. I didn’t want it to be redundant & I wanted it to be more encouraging & entertaining, but still fit within the HFL brand. Praise God for answered prayers & divine inspiration because the YouTube channel will be starting in late summer. Think everything that HFL encompasses: wife, mom, woman, God, study, hobbies, etc. It will be vast & it will be fun.
- A new study: As I said above, I am going to continue bible studies, but they will be quarterly. So you can expect 4 bible studies per year. Although, they may or may not be posted on the blog. They may be for email subscribers– but I haven’t come to terms with a decision on that yet.
- oh yeah, an email subscriber list: I know a lot of people like having things delivered to them rather than having to search them out, so early fall, I will be starting a newsletter/email subscription. There will be lots of freebies, coupons for the shop, inspiration, & other special stuff reserved for the subscribers, so be sure to keep your eye out for how to sign up.
So now that you are all updated, here is the final installment of our How to Study the Bible: James. Thank you so much for joining me for this & I look forward to connecting again in a few weeks. Have a wonderful summer.
Just joining our James study? Check out the Introduction here.